HOLIDAY SAFETY CHECKLIST
Print out this "Top 10" list of holiday safety tips and keep it
handy as you and your family decorate and celebrate this holiday season. Season's Greetings from the American Red Cross of Rhode Island!
- Purchase only UL approved holiday lights and check all indoor and outdoor lights for frayed cords and replace as needed. And if you are not using a string of lights
"add-on" socket, fill it with a plastic "child-proof" tab.
- Space heaters should be at least three feet away from the nearest object (curtains, wrapped presents, furniture, etc.)
- Never use lights marked "outdoor" inside the home.
- Turn off all holiday lights prior to leaving your home or going to bed.
- Only use mini-lights. They are the safest bet because they produce the least amount of heat.
- Do not overload electrical circuits, such as a wall outlet or extension cord. Use a power strip instead.
- Keep your Christmas tree in a sturdy base, filled with water. Check the water level daily.
- Spray your Christmas tree with a flame retardant before putting it up indoors.
- Keep the tree away from all heat sources (fireplace, electric heater, stove, etc.) and never use candles on or near a Christmas tree.
- Safely dispose of your tree before it becomes dangerously dry, but never burn your tree in the fireplace or wood stove.