Wednesday, February 4, 2004
Director of Communications
(401) 831-7700 x101
RI Red Cross assisting families displaced by
overnight fire and gas leak
Last evening was a busy one for American Red Cross of Rhode Island volunteers, as they responded to
two incidents – a fire and a gas leak.
Last night, volunteers were called to the scene of a
gas explosion at 130 Tell Street in Providence. The surrounding area was evacuated. In all, RI Red Cross volunteers are providing emergency services to four
families, including the family who resides at 130 Tell Street.
While on scene at the gas explosion, additional volunteers were called to a fire at
Arbor Hill Apartments located on Simmonsville Avenue in Johnston. The complex was evacuated and Red Cross volunteers manned a temporary shelter at Johnston
Middle School. All but one family was able to secure shelter with family and friends for the night. The Red Cross is assisting that one family with emergency shelter at this time.
The Red Cross of Rhode Island typically spends $1,000 per family of four that it assists. All Red Cross assistance is free,
thanks to contributions from individuals and organizations. The Red Cross is not a government agency and relies on private donations to provide emergency assistance to Rhode Islanders in crisis.
Visit www.riredcross.org for more information and to find out how you can help.